Saturday, September 24, 2005

Day 92, Thursday, September 15

I headed back to the East side of the island today to meet up with Michael Clarke for the possibility of going over to Lasquetti Island. The ride back to the East side of the Island was equally as harrowing as the ride to the West because of that same 10km stretch of road that’s torn up and rutted. This time there were quite a few sections of really deep gravel. No fun at all.
I got back to Michael’s store, Karma Coffee, a bit earlier in the day than I’d expected, thinking that I’d have a better chance of finding everybody there. Nope. The place was locked and lifeless. A call to Michael’s cell and I found out that they’d left early today and that Michael was doing business in a town just down the road. He told me to drive on over to his house, but to be aware that he’s got a big dog that "Definitely will bark at you as you ride in, but won’t bite". Not very comforting words, but I figured I pretty much had to trust him. He was right. The dog, Huck, definitely is big and has a menacing bark but it turns out that his barking is basically saying "Look what I found!" Turns out he’s a really great dog.
When I dismounted I met Michael’s wife Cindy and their youngest daughter, Quinn. Michael and Cindy have given all three of their daughters really interesting names. All of them have names that were chosen for their meanings rather than just because Michael and Cindy liked the sounds of the names. I only remember the first names of each of the daughters and unfortunately it’s their full names that have meaning. Cloey (I’m sure I’ve spelled that wrong) is the middle daughter and Tillicum is the oldest. I met Cloey briefly this evening and won’t get to meet Tillicum this time because she lives in another province. Quinn is possibly the most extroverted, self confident, and stubborn (comes with being the youngest daughter) tomboy 15-year-old I’ve ever meet. She’s great fun to talk with.
Michael tells me that originally the plan was to head over to Lasquiti tomorrow ,but now he’s thinking that it’ll be Saturday instead. Either way works for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home