Thursday, August 18, 2005

Day 58, Friday, August 12

Today’s plan was to go get an oil change in Portland and then to head up to Mt. St. Helens. I’d planned what I though would be a nice route up the West side of the mountain and had planned to move on to Mt Rainier by this evening. WRONG. As I talked with one of the guys at Portland Motorcycle Company he said I’d planned the wrong route to the mountain and gave me a new route.
Before heading up to Mt. St. Helens, I decided I wanted to go see Mt Hood and a bit more of the Columbia River Gorge. Watching the wind surfers and kite boarders ripping out across the water was enough to get my blood boiling. I could easily see myself getting into that sport. Unfortunately it’s DEFINITELY a money sport. Maybe after I quit chasing this motorcycle dream and get a new job!
I made an effort to get as close to Mt. Hood as I could and took a scenic loop through the Hood River Valley and then headed up to Mt. St. Helens via the route the guy from Portland Motorcycle had suggested. What a great suggestion! The road was freshly paved and incredibly twisty. He’d told me I’d be dragging the pegs on my bike and he was absolutely right.
I got to Mt St Helens in the late afternoon, in time to see the mountain in full day light but also at such a time that the Western sun and the shadows to made it hard to photograph and also too early to wait to see the mountain at sunset. Instead, I resolved to find the closest campsite and head back over to the mountain in the morning.
Ironwood campground, it turns out was just a few miles away from the road leading into Mt. St. Helens. I pulled in, got assigned a campsite and headed over to set up camp in the dark. The family in the site next to mine was a huge group from one of the relatively local towns and when I went over to ask them if they’d figured out where the running water was in the campsite, they struck into the standard questions about my trip. Half an hour and a good deal of laughter later I finally left their campsite to get the water I’d initially set out in search of. I bet I hadn’t been back in my campsite, heating up a dinner of left over spaghetti and sauce, when they called over and told me to come join them around their campfire while I ate my dinner. Oh, and would I please help them finish off some home made peach cobbler! Can I just say again that I LOVE this trip I’m taking?!?!? I don’t think I left their camp site until nearly midnight. Another great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home